CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 16, 2012

So, are you wondering how this thing is panning out?
I found a wonderful running coach in the form of a podcast, called 5k101.  Check it out at
It's great because it breaks training for a 5k down into 8 weeks, running 3 times a week, and the guy coaches you all the way.  He tells you exactly when to run and when to walk and even gives you pointers on how hard/easy you should be running and how you should be feeling, instruction on proper breathing, lets you know it's ok to repeat a week if you are really struggling but challenges you to move through the program and get through each interval.  It's awesome.  I'm an absolute beginner but so far this makes me feel like this is something that even I can achieve.  Mind you, I just completed the 2nd week.  If you have an iphone or ipod touch you can download it as an app and customize it with your own tunes.  I'm not so fortunate so I have to stick to the pre-programmed music but I'm ok with that for now.  And once I'm done with the 5k they also have 10k101, so I'm planning on checking that out eventually too.  But first things first.  So there's my informercial.

So am I out running miles and miles yet?  No.  If I tell you what I actually have run it might sound kind of pathetic, but remember that 2 weeks ago, I had never run before.  So right now I can actually only run for a couple of minutes at one time before I have to have a walking break, but the training program breaks it up that way into intervals, so I can totally push through it.  Not that it's easy, but it's also not nearly as hard as I thought it would be so far either.  I think I imagined that I was going to be so sore I could barely walk and that I would barely be able to run 30 seconds before I'd be so out of breath I'd want to die.  I can see how it's definitely a head game.  I'm happy to report that I have been feeling strong and pumped, and dare I say it, even a little excited.  On my days off of running I've gone for a couple bike rides and done some resistance training because I feel like I need to do something.  It just feels wrong to sit there.  I can also see that I need to work on what I'm eating so I will have the energy I'm going to need once I start really getting up the distance.  Eating is so hard.  I hate it.  (There's a lot of otherwise healthy things I can't eat because of allergies.)  Can't someone just hook me up to an IV and I don't have to think about it?  J/K

And, I actually registered for my chosen race.  So I'm in.  There's no turning back or giving up.  I'm running the Legacy Midnight Run on August 3rd.  It's a glow-in-the-dark race.  How cool is that?
Woohoo!  I'll be there.  Will you?


0 comments: